Thursday, December 8, 2011

Favorite St Augustine quote

Oh, too late have I loved thee, beauty so ancient and so new, too late have I loved thee. Behold, thou wast within me and I was searching outside, among the beauty of thy creation. At last, didst thou call out loud, didst thou force open my deafness and didst chase away my blindness. Thou didst breathe fragrant odours and I drew in my breath; and now I pant for thee. Thou didst touch me, and I burned for thy peace. Lord, have pity on me; my evil sorrows contend with my good joys. Lord, have pity on me. Thou art the Physician, I am the sick man; thou art merciful, I need mercy. Is not the life of man on earth an ordeal? My whole hope is in thy exceeding great mercy and that alone. Give what thou commandest and command what thou wilt. O Love, O my God, enkindle me! – St. Augustine

1 comment:

  1. Excellent quote by St. Augustine. Please pray for me that I turn completely to Him! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave an honest comment. Comments are moderated and hateful speech will not be tolerated.